The Ten Commandments After Calvary
Many people believe that the Ten Commandments were either nailed to the cross, done away with, or altered in some significant way – Sabbath replaced by Sunday, or the second commandment which commands us not to worship idols was removed – after the death of Jesus at Calvary. It is the purpose of this brief study to provide references for those who want to know the truth to examine for themselves whether the above is true, or whether Jesus’ statement that He does not change remains true. (Hebrews 13:8). I will place the references at the end of each commandment for your perusal.
1. And God spake all these words, saying, “I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.” Acts 14:8-18; II Timothy 3:2-4; Revelation 13:12-15; 21:8
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, or serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love Me, and keep My commandments. I Corinthians 6:9; Galatians 5:20; I Thessalonians 1:9; Revelation 21:8
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain. II Corinthians 11:13; I Timothy 6:1; I John 4:1; Revelation 2:9; 3:9
4. Remember the Sabbath day to holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor they daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. Luke 23:55-56; Acts 13:14, 42-44; Hebrews 4:1-11; Revelation 14:7 – Jesus was and is the Creator.
5. Honour they father and they mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Romans 1:30; Ephesians 6:1; Colossians 3:20; II Timothy 3:2
6. Thou shalt not kill. Romans 1:29; 13:9; Galatians 5:21; Revelation 22:15
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Romans 13:9; I Corinthians 6:9; Galatians 5:19; Revelation 22:15
8. Thou shalt not steal. Romans 13:9; I Corinthians 6:9; Ephesians 4:28
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Romans 13:9; I Corinthians 6:10; Galatians 5:21; II Timothy 3:3; Revelation 21:8; 22:15
10. Thou shalt not covet they neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet they neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s. Exodus 20:1-17; Romans 1:29; 13:9; I Corinthians 6:9