The Ten Commandments During the Time of Jesus
Many people believe that Jesus kept the Ten Commandments and lived out the principles that He, as the Creator of the universe and of this world (Colossians 1:13-17; Hebrews 1:1-2; John 1:1-3), gave them to mankind. It is the purpose of this brief study to display a list of reference where God’s holy Word reveals that the Ten Commandment laws were still in place.
1. And God spake all these words, saying, “I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.” Matthew 4:10; John 19:15
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, or serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love Me, and keep My commandments. John 2:13-17; Luke 19:45-48
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain. John 8:37-45 (the claim of the Jews was that they were sons of Abraham the father of Israel but Jesus claims that Abraham was not their father but that Satan was their father because his fruit was produced in their hearts – see Revelation 2:9 and 3:9).
4. Remember the Sabbath day to holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor they daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. Matthew 12:1-13; Mark 2:27-28; Mark 3:1-7; Luke 4:16; John 5:1-18
5. Honour they father and they mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Matthew 15:4; 19:18
6. Thou shalt not kill. Matthew 19:18; John 5:18
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Matthew 19:18; Luke 16:18
8. Thou shalt not steal. Matthew 19:18; John 10:10
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor. Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19
10. Thou shalt not covet they neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet they neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s. Exodus 20:1-17
Luke 12:15; 16:13-15